Are you in the market for a refrigerated container? Whether you are looking at buying or hiring a container for your next event or to ship your goods across the country, Shipping Containers Sydney has refrigerated containers to suit your needs.
What is a Refrigerated Container?
A refrigerated container is simply just a shipping container that has been insulated and had a cooling motor added. It is the combination between the cooling motor and the insulation that allows cold and frozen goods to be shipped all over the country, and the world, without losing their integrity, and while still staying safe to consume.
Many people wonder how these containers work – after all, there is a fair amount of space that needs to be kept cool.
Essentially, the cooling fan blows cold air through the vents at the bottom of the shipping container. These vents run the length of the container. Any warm air in the container rises, flows back to the cooling fan, and the process continues.
Both 20ft and 40ft refrigerated containers do require power to run, and they are usually plugged in either while on a boat or while sitting on the dock. When being shipped on rail or on a truck, they are plugged into a generator to keep them at the right temperature.
Why Use a Refrigerated Shipping Container?
There are plenty of reasons people use refrigerated shipping containers, but it mainly comes down to transporting perishable goods long distances. You might be surprised about what is shipping in these containers every day:
- Fruits and vegetable
- Dairy products
- Meat and poultry
- Disaster management
- Military operations
- Movie set props and equipment
If you have something to ship or store that needs to be under temperature control or in cold storage, a refrigerated container is your best choice.
How to Best Pack a Refrigerated Container
If you aren’t used to packing a refrigerated shipping container for transport, there are a few handy tips and tricks to make sure you get the most out of your space, allowing you to transport as much of your goods as possible.
There are two things to keep in mind. Firstly, frozen goods only require air flow around the boxes. Chilled goods require air flow through the boxes because they can still produce some heat.
You may have heard of container stuffing, but despite what it sounds like, this doesn’t mean stuffing the container to the brim. Here are our tips:
- Don’t fill your container over the max load line. This line is there to ensure you still get maximum air flow through and around your cargo.
- Make sure everything is at your desired temperature before loading. A refrigerated container is designed to keep the required temperature, not bring your items to that temperature.
- Don’t pre-cool the container. Once you open those doors, the warm air coming in will cause condensation which can damage both your packaging and the contents. This is another reason you need to have your cargo at its optimum temperature.
- When it comes to loading, it is recommended to load your boxes right to the edges of the T-floor. This ensures even air flow around the container. If you don’t have enough to fill the space, use some additional cardboard or dunnage to take up that extra space. Also ensure you leave some space at the side walls to give the cold air room to move.
- Make sure you are using the best packing method for what you are shipping. If you are shipping chilled items, leave gaps between boxes to allow for air to flow around the box.
Benefits of Using Refrigerated Units
There are many benefits of using refrigerated containers, whether you are shipping goods or just need some additional cold storage during an event.
For those businesses looking to ship perishable goods across the country or the world, a refrigerated container is a must, otherwise the integrity and quality of your product won’t be there on arrival.
They are also a great option for extra storage space for those running events and functions. You can meet the fluctuations and demand in business without spending money on permanent cold storage space that you don’t always need.
If you have chilled products you need to ship or need some additional cold room space for your next event, market or function, a refrigerated storage container is a handy choice.
At Shipping Containers Sydney we can help you get the container you need. Contact our friendly team today for a quote.